Your fallacious reasoning makes mine look good.

Bohrstein...

Saturday, December 6, 2008

At least you didn't drop a dead hooker on your foot.

The "At Least" argument, or various forms of it. Or hell, I wonder if you can even call it an argument. I now dub it simply a 'persuasive technique.' One that is merely meant to 'make you feel better.'

I don't know if it is a real fallacy, but I noticed that people have a tendency to use the 'at least' 'persuasive technique' a lot. For example, if I were to drop a bowling ball on my foot and express how crappy the situation was, I might hear: "At least you didn't drop a knife in to your foot." 

Or, "At least you didn't drop a dead hooker on your foot. Cause, shit, then your foot would hurt, you'd probably have blood on your shoes, and then you'd be in trouble with the cops! Haha!"

Yeah, I guess that's true. But fuck, my foot still hurts...

Anything can be justified with this lazy little argument. Lets say you really did drop a dead hooker on your shoes, well at least she didn't get blood in your mouth. What if she did? Well at least the cops aren't here yet. What if they are? Well, at least they aren't shooting at you... and so on ad infinitum.
It's a vacuous attempt at trying to seem optimistic, and it doesn't even make you feel better; unless you're a moron and you can buy in to this kind of crap. If you really don't care when I hurt myself, then be honest; when I drop a ball on my foot, mutter something like 'bummer,' and go on about your little life.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Seriously, enough about me.