Your fallacious reasoning makes mine look good.

Bohrstein...

Monday, January 12, 2009

Distracted?

Started the new semester today. I am excited, for the first time I will have a chance to study modern Physics in an academic setting (as opposed to the non-mathematical texts I read on the toilet, or scanning about the web).

Let me back track for a moment though. About a week and a half ago I got the invitation to join the Abstract Algebra honors class (Math 13 at IVC). Last time I was offered an honors track of classes was in junior high; for English. I turned it down, but I used to be way ahead of my peers, and I continually failed all of my classes - they figured I wasn't being challenged. I don't even know. I don't think I have demonstrated any worth in these things; I'm not a great mathematician, but I enjoy it. Some argue this is enough.

Anyways, I figured I should give it an honest effort for at least the track of time before I can drop it without taking a fail, i.e. until February 2nd (I think) as long, I reasoned, that it doesn't jeopardize the major related classes. Don't get my wrong, I'm not a 'grade grubber' but one of the things I have come to realize over time is that, I can't honestly fulfill my interest in all things. I do my best to focus on everything I feel I can put an honest effort in to, and my attraction to generality is usually a pretty useful tool, which allows me to spread my mind across several topics in a short period of time. For example, working in mathematics allows me to study set theory, as well as physics, as well as computer science. My interests in philosophy seem to allow a connection between any literary attractions as well as the obvious logical connection within mathematics. Anyways, long story short, I would love to ignore my grades, and enroll in endless classes and take all I can from them in the short time I am allotted, but truth is: time is valuable. I don't have endless amounts of it, and I have to be selective.

So, Math 13 isn't necessary, I don't even think I am required to take it at all (I might at UCI), but it is something which strikes me deeply with a sense of familiarity, it is something I feel I can 'roll' with. So, I say, I am going to give it a chance.

The other problem is that it is at 9 am in the morning. I don't function well that early.

The other class is Electromagnetism, which also is a brilliant subject in and of itself, and Linear Algebra: A class I have honestly been looking forward to since, junior fucking high. I must have been quite the little genius, geez. The reason, you ask? Well, I liked to play video games a lot when I was in junior high, and while I was showing myself around the programming languages (C and C++ specifically), I came across a wonderful little API: OpenGL (which has lost most of its luster over the years), which was governed by the math known as, yup, Linear Algebra.

Also in the news, I recently bought an Apple MacBook, which as proven to be a brilliant little machine with a wonderful operating system ("PC people" bang on Macs more than they deserve). I never bought in to the mac bashing because, well, I had no basis really. Of course, I didn't realize the amount of crap that was borne from the mouths of Mac bashers until I actually bought one of these things. But that is for another day, why I bought one is the interesting part: Specifically, to attempt to pay for college. See, "The Girl" bought me an iPod Touch a year ago for Christmas and a few months later Apple opened up the platform (the iPhone OS) to development. So, I decided I'd take this opportunity to spend some time developing applications for it (specifically games) to see if I can make a few dollars. Just to familiarize myself with the routine of development, I created a WAR game which I just submitted to Apple for review. With any luck, by the weeks end it will be on the application store, selling for $0.99. From an ethics point of view, I almost feel as though I am doing some great injustice to its purchasers, but I always argue: I am not covering up the applications lack of greatness with some odd persuasive advertising techniques, and I am not forcing people to buy it (I can't anyways).

I started a 'company'. It's not a real company (hence the 'wit quotes') and if it was one, it'd consist of me, and my friend. I'm the programmer and he would be the acting artist. I just needed a name to work under: this is it.

2 comments:

Roy Bauer said...

So what became of this venture? My grandparents (on my dad's side) were forever falling for get-rich-quick schemes. For a while, "Oma" owned a beauty shop. Sold wigs. But she looked like an extra for "Fiddler on the Roof." You know--peasant stock: shot, squat, gruff. It would be like me opening a charm school. My sister seems to have this failing, too. She keeps showing me these weird objects that's she's carved out of pieces of eucalyptus wood. "This is a spoon," she'd say. Or: "This is a butter knife." Well, yeah, I guess. These things are pretty cool, but nobody's gonna buy 'em. So I suggested that she create a concept and sell them as such. I looked at the twisted wood. "How about 'Twistensiles'?" I asked. Her eyes brightened. Off she went.

Bohrstein said...

I released two applications, one was a really simple and lame card game. The other was this stupid game where you shoot animals from a cannon. One of them took two weeks to make, the other 8 months of hard work. The one that took two weeks made me something like 2 grand, the 8 month project resulted in .... 10 bucks? If that.

Ah well, they weren't creative in the least bit. I wouldn't even buy em. Someday I will make another one though, i just need to lay low and use my brain before I jump in to these projects. Careful how far back you go, these blog posts grow worse.

About Me

My photo
Seriously, enough about me.